Register on Election Day
If you did not register before Election Day, use any of the following proof of residence options to register at your polling place on Election Day.
Option 1: Bring ID with Current Name and Address
Valid Minnesota driver’s license, Minnesota learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card—or a receipt for any of these
Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and signature.
Option 2: Bring Photo ID Plus a Document with Current Name and Address
The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, etc.)
Accepted photo IDs (bring one ID and one document)
- Driver's license, state ID card or learner’s permit issued by any state
- United States passport
- United States Military ID card
- Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo of the voter
- Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
- Minnesota high school ID card
Accepted documents (bring one document and one ID)
- Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
- Current student fee statement
- Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
- Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
- TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
- Internet services
- Solid waste or sewer services
- Electric, gas or water
- Banking or credit card
- Rent or mortgage payments
Option 3: Registered Voter Who Can Confirm Your Name and Address
A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. A registered voter can vouch for up to eight others.
Option 4: College Student ID — If a Student Housing List Was Provided
College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials. Learn more.
Option 5: Valid Registration in the Same Precinct
Option 6: Notice of Late Registration
Option 7: Staff Person of a Residential Facility
If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address.